Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Rudolph-What Happened to Your Nose?

Tonights nightly writing should be full of creativity, fun, and laughter. We are re-writing our own versions of how Rudolph got his new nose color. Students were given a colored pom-pom today along with my shared example of Rudolph, the Blue-Nosed Reindeer. With the creativity of this group, I know we will have some awesome stories.
In Science, we finished up our test over bone & muscle tissue and found out some new facts in the book I read to them. If they can tell you where chromosomes are found and what mitosis is, write body in the planner.
Today in Math, we introduced 2 digit x 2 digit multiplication. There was a look of confusion on some, but we will keep practicing it. They had a 4 digit x 1 digit for homework. We are also cruising through Geometry. Today we learned the 3 kinds of triangles. If they can tell you all 3 and the characteristics of all 3, write triangle in the planner.
In Social Studies, they studied the Midwest states and capitals with a partner. We are starting the tour of this section tomorrow.
Tickets: Today, I started taking tickets again for behaviors and then charging them at the end of the day. I think this will lead to less interruptions. Unfortunately, I am having to take more tickets lately. I know students are getting excited for the holidays, but we still have lots of learning to do. It saddens me sometimes that we spend so much time on character building in morning meetings and then some students continue to make poor choices by being disrespectful to me, themselves, and others. Please take some time tonight to have a heart to heart talk about what my expectations are along with yours for them here at school. We have lots of fun things coming up this month and months to come and I make the final decisions on who gets to participate and who doesn't. If you talk to your child about this tonight-thank you and please write "respect" in the planner for more money.
Sometimes I think the fun things we talk about are things they think they are entitled to. For example, I want to build edible cells with them, but not sure everyone is ready for it. They have to prove it to me. Don't get me wrong, for the most part we are moving along and doing very well, but I want the class to get to the point that it could run smoothly no matter who is present in here.
Have a great night and stay warm.

No comments: